Cardiac surgery is a surgery on the heart or great vessels performed by cardiac surgeons.Frequently, it is done to treat complications of ischemic heart disease, correct congenital heart disease, or treat valvular heart disease from various causes including endocarditis, rheumatic heart disease and atherosclerosis. It also includes heart transplantation. Surgery which is done on the valves, heart muscle, the aorta or arteries, and other large parts attached to the heart is commonly Known as Heart surgery .Most Common Heart surgery includes bypass surgery,redo heart surgery, valve operation,open heart surgery and Fast track surgery.
The term “open heart surgery” means that you are connected to a bypass pump during surgery or heart-lung bypass machine. Your heart is stopped as you are connected to this machine. For the surgery, machine work on heart & lungs while your heart is stopped. This Machine provides oxygen to your blood, proper circulation of blood through your body, and removes carbon dioxide (CO2).
Doctors also use heart surgery to :
- Repair or replace heart valves, which control blood flow through the heart
- Repair abnormal or damaged structures in the heart
- Implant medical devices that help control the heartbeat or support heart function and blood flow
- Replace a damaged heart with a healthy heart from a donor
- Treat heart failure and coronary heart disease
- Control abnormal heart rhythms